Heart Health - The Golding Six Top Supplements
Heart health is one of the topics that is very close to us. Although one oftentimes thinks of the heart as just one organ doing a single job, there are many different aspects that one can address. We are going to look at one area specifically today - that is giving the muscle support to perform optimally.
In the first place, heart health includes the muscle having enough energy to pump blood through the body. In order to this to happen, you need to support your mitochondria to produce sufficient energy.
Stand aside, Frank - this is the time for Dr Stephen Sinatra to stand tall and say I did it my way.
Dr Sinatra is a board-certified cardiologist who specialises in integrative cardiology. He came up with the awesome foursome of nutraceuticals to optimise the strength of the heart. Let’s look at these and then go beyond.
Co-Q10 for Heart Health
Coenzyme Q10 has a myriad of benefits to the body. When we zone in on heart health, there has been some fascinating findings:
6 heart health benefits of Co-Q10
- May stabilize heartbeat in Arrhythmia patients
- Co-Q10 may alleviate congestive heart failure
- It may improve the condition of cardiomyopathy
- Co-Q10 may improve the heart’s ability to survive and produce energy during hypoxia (situations of limited oxygen)
- It may help prevent stroke and help prevent mortality in those who have experienced a stroke
- Co-Q10 has shown to improve blood circulation
Co-Q10 Sesame Pork Kebabs
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 600g pork loin, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Soak 8 small wooden skewers in water for at least 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce and vinegar.
- Heat broiler. Thread the pork, bell pepper, and scallions onto the skewers and place on a foil-lined broiler proof rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the hoisin mixture and broil, basting with the pan juices and turning twice, until cooked through - 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the kebabs with the sesame seeds.
L-Carnitine is manufactured in the liver and kidneys and is also found in our food. It has stand-alone heart health benefits but can also enhance the function of Co-Q10.
Heart health benefits of L-Carnitine
- Carnitine may allow angina patients to become more active
- Raynaud’s Disease might be alleviated by carnitine
- Carnitine is oftentimes recommended for ischemic heart disease patients
- Mitral valve prolapse patients may find improvement in their condition
- Carnitine may be useful for the treatment of sickle-cell anaemia
Magnesium is another favourite nutraceutical in our toolbox. Let’s look at the health benefits for the cardiovascular system:
Heart health benefits of magnesium
- Magnesium may reduce the incidence of Tachycardia in heart disease patients
- Magnesium may prevent Atherosclerosis
- Magnesium may inhibit abnormal Blood Clotting
- Magnesium may exert antispasmodic effects on Blood Vessels.
- Magnesium supplementation may improve Heart function in Cardiomyopathy patients
- Magnesium may be beneficial for the treatment of Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Magnesium may prevent and treats most types of Cardiovascular Diseases
- Magnesium may alleviate Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) and most CHF patients exhibit a Magnesium deficiency
Ribose is a form of sugar that is derived from the aloe plant. It is one of our favourites when it comes to mitochondrial energy. High doses (60 grams per day) increases the Heart’s tolerance to Ischemia in Atherosclerosis patients.
Ribose also increases energy production in cardiac muscle.
But wait, there’s more!
In my practice, I have found that there are two more nutraceuticals that are invaluable in supporting the cardiac muscle to pump properly.
Hawthorne is a natural beta-blocker that is derived from the Hawthorn tree.
Heart health benefits of hawthorn
- Hawthorn may alleviate Angina
- Hawthorn may prevent and treat Arrhythmias
- Hawthorn may improve the structural integrity of the Collagen content of Arteries
- Hawthorn may prevent and treat Atherosclerosis
- Hawthorn may improve Blood Circulation
- Substances in Hawthorn may function as Calcium Channel Blockers
- Hawthorn may improve the utilization of Oxygen by the Cardiac Muscle and improves Blood Circulation to the Cardiac Muscle
- Hawthorn may alleviate Congestive Heart Failure by increasing the strength of Cardiac Muscle contractions, increasing Blood Circulation to the Heart and by reducing the resistance to Blood Circulation in peripheral tissue
- Hawthorn may improve the production of Energy within the Heart and may improve the contractions of the Heart Muscle Wall
- Hawthorn may help to prevent Heart Attack.
- Hawthorn may help to lower Blood Pressure in Hypertension patients
Hawthorn and Ribose Berry Ketchup
Why not make this delicious ketchup to keep your ticker tocking strong and gut healthy?
- 500g hawthorn berry
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 300ml of water
- 200g of ribose
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the berries from the stalks and wash well with cold water. Add to a large pan with the water and vinegar, then bring to the boil. Simmer for approximately half an hour, until the skins of the berries begin to burst
- Take off the heat and pour the contents of the pan through a sieve to remove any stones and tough pieces of skin
- Transfer the liquid to a clean pan with the ribose and place over low heat, stirring often
- Once dissolved, bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes more, until syrup-like and reduced
- Season the syrup to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to sterilised bottles.
Taurine is an amino acid that is manufactured in the liver that supports heart health.
Heart benefits of taurine
- Taurine may help to prevent and treat Arrhythmias
- Taurine may help to prevent and treat Atherosclerosis
- Taurine may help to prevent abnormal Blood Clotting
- Taurine may help to prevent and treat Cardiomyopathy
- Taurine (1,000 - 4,000 mg per day) may improve cardiac and respiratory function in Congestive Heart Failure patients
- Taurine concentrates in the Heart references and (5,000 - 6,000 mg per day of supplemental Taurine) may alleviate Ischemic Heart Disease